BRender is the Blazing Render engine created by Argonaut Software.
I've been trying to contact people who worked on BRender, to see if they can provide an SDK. Current progress:
- Sam Littlewood (u/samelittlewood) (sam in the BRender strings). Contacted on reddit, he followed up a bit later to say he no longer had any documentation or SDKs.
- Dan Piponi (@sigfpe). Only has the manual, which we already have.
- Jez San: Not yet contacted. I have a possible email address to follow up on.
We know of at least THREE existing examples of the SDK, with possibly two more existing but not yet confirmed.
- IBM Developer Connection for OS/2 Volume 12, disc 3 under TOOLKITS\WARPTKV3\TOOLKIT\BETA\BRENDER: Contains an OS/2-only version of the BRender SDK, with docs in an OS/2-only format, and is limited to the floating-point only version. The internal file dates point to March 1995.
- Best Of Internet July 1996. This warez CD includes a copy of the SDK called "BRender x86 1.1.2". Mainly for DOS, but includes a sample file running BRender in a Win32s app. Dates point to September 1995.
- Unknown 3rd source: There's a leaked version of the SDK that has been shown in some places (but kept confidential), and seems to be a later version than the other two.
- BRender SDK v1.2 (aka BRENDER25.ZIP): This version is from March 1996, and was found on January 15th, 2022.
- Unfound version: Another warez CD, this one "CD-147" (I'm not sure of the name) includes "The Brender Development Toolkit V1.4" (WPNBRDT1.ZIP, 1442825 bytes).
Games using the BRender Engine
|3D Movie Maker||1995||Microsoft||Microsoft||Windows|
|Alien Odyssey||1995||Argonaut||Philips Interactive||DOS|
|Arena AD (cancelled)||N/A||Stainless Software||?||Windows|
|Bondurant High Performance Racing (Unreleased/in-house?)||N/A||Fathom Pictures||?||?|
|Bundesliga Manager 97 / Total Football Management||1996||Software 2000||Software 2000||DOS|
|Bundesliga Manager 98||1998||Software 2000||Eidos||Windows|
|Carmageddon||1997||Stainless Software||Interplay, SCi Games||DOS, Windows, Macintosh|
|Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now||1998||Stainless Software||SCi Games||Windows, Macintosh|
|Croc 1: Legend of the Gobbos||1997||Argonaut||Fox Interactive||Windows|
|Croc 2||1999||Argonaut||Fox Interactive||Windows|
|Doctor Who: Destiny of the Doctors||1997||Studio Fish||BBC Multimedia||Windows|
|F1 Manager||1996||Software 2000||Software 2000||DOS|
|F1 Manager Professional||1997||Software 2000||Software 2000||DOS|
|Freelancer 2120 (cancelled)||N/A||Imagitec||?||DOS|
|FX Fighter||1995||Argonaut||GTE Entertainment||DOS|
|FX Fighter Turbo||1996||Argonaut||GTE Entertainment||Windows|
|Hasbro Xscape/Rush/Toaster (cancelled)||N/A||Hasbro||?||?|
|Hotwheels project (cancelled)||N/A||Stainless Software||?||?|
|Independence War||1998||Particle Systems||Infogrames||Windows|
|I-War: Defiance||1999||Particle Systems||Infogrames||Windows|
|Motor Mash||1998||Eutechnyx Limited||Ocean Software||DOS, Windows|
|Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker||1996||Microsoft||Microsoft||Windows|
|Pete Sampras Tennis '97||1996||Codemasters||Codemasters||DOS, Windows|
|Play with the Teletubbies||1998||Asylum Entertainment||Knowledge Adventure||Windows|
|Privateer 2: The Darkening||1996||EA Manchester||Electronic Arts||DOS, Windows|
|Queen: The eYe||1998||Destination Design||Electronic Arts||DOS|
|Search and Rescue (SAR)||1997||Interactivision||Intense Entertainment Interactive||Windows|
|Sensible Soccer '98||1997||Sensible Software||GT Interactive||Windows|
|Sensible Soccer '98: European Club Edition||1998||Sensible Software||GT Interactive||Windows|
|Surf and Destroy (demo)||N/A||Grolier Interactive||?||Windows|